Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 13, Part II of III


All the way from Quincy to Beardstown, and for some distance thereafter, people recognized me from the television, radio, and newspaper coverage from Quincy. Once I hit Havana, though, I had to explain myself if I wanted it to be known that I was walking across Illinois to support our troops.
Someone at the Mason City library asked whether I had talked to anyone at the local newspaper, the Mason City Banner Times. I had e-mailed them a news release several weeks before, but I had not made eye contact with anyone at that establishment. The librarian suggested that I go to the newspaper office and offer an interview. Good advice. What’s the point of walking across Illinois to support our troops if no one knows what I’m doing?
The receptionist at the newspaper suggested that I talk to Larry Crossett, a local writer, and she even called him for me. Larry suggested we meet at the Subway, so I headed that way. Not only did Larry buy my lunch, he also gave me an autographed copy of his book, Midwest Journey: Stumbling through the Heartland, which might have been an apt title for this blog (or maybe Stumbling across Illinois.) You can read about Larry’s book and read his latest column at http://themidwestjourney.com/book.php.
When I told Larry that I expected to break the 100-mile mark later in the day (100 miles from Quincy’s Bayview Bridge, as I reckon those miles), Larry asked me to call him when I got to that point so he could drive out and take a picture of me crossing the line in the cornfields, so to speak. I called. He came. Because the west wind was whipping the flag into my face, he had me turn around and face west for the picture. That should confuse someone, unless he Photoshops the image and turns it around to make it look as if I were on the other side of the road. If he doesn’t, I may get into trouble with the authorities for walking on the wrong side of the road, something I’ve assiduously avoided doing throughout this journey.
I’m grateful for this library (the Mason City Library) and their free Internet access. I’m grateful that Sandy Showalter told me about the library. I’m grateful for the incredibly beautiful weather I’m enjoying on this walk. And I’m grateful to the kind people of Mason City for their cheerful reception of an old man limping across the state.
In a couple of hours, I’m invited to the Mason City American Legion, to meet with the members before their meeting officially begins. That means yet another post for today’s adventures, though I may add that post with tomorrow’s, depending on how exciting things get throughout the rest of today.
God bless you, and God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment